Saturday, January 13, 2007

Chapter 1


CHAPTER 1
ARJUNA’S CONFUSION


The war of Mahabharata was about to begin after peace talks by Lord Krishna and others failed to avoid the war.

It is at this Battle field at Kurukshetra, the great discourse called the Gita was given by the Lord Krishna to Arjuna. The counseling given by Lord Krishna is not meant for Arjun alone. It is for the entire humanity.

In this first chapter, the names of the main warriors and generals of both sides are given. However, the main event is the despondency of Arjuna.

Verse 1.01

The King inquired: Sanjaya, please now tell me, in details, what did my people (the Kauravas) and the Pandavas do in the battlefield before the war started?

1.02 – 1.11

Sanjaya said:

O King, After seeing the battle formation of the Pandava's army, your son approached his guru and spoke these words:

O Master, behold this mighty army of the Pandavas, arranged in battle formation by your other talented disciple! There are many great warriors, valiant men, heroes, and mighty archers. (1.03-06)

The List of Warriors

Pandava Army

The son of Drupada (Dhristadhyumna).
Dhristaketu, Chekitan, Purujit, Kuntibhoja and Shaibya - the finest among men.
Yudhamanya, Uttamauja, Abhimanyu
Shikhandi, Dhristadyumna, Virata and Satyaki.
The five sons of Draupadi

Kaurava Army

Drona, Bhishma, Karna, Kripa, Ashvatthama, Vikarna and Bhurishrava

The leaders of my army those who are most distinguished among us. I will name them now for thy information. Yourself, Bhisma, Karna and many other heroes who have risked their lives for my sake. They are armed with many kinds of weapons and are all well skilled in war. Unlimited is this army of ours which is guarded by Bhisma, while that army of theirs which is guarded by Bhima is limited.

Our army is invincible, while their army is easy to conquer. Therefore all of you, occupying your respective positions, protect our commander-in-chief, the Bhishma.

Sounding of the Conches

1.12-19

Then Bhisma, the grandsire of the Kuru dynasty and the grandfather of the fighters, blew his conchshell very loudly. It sounded like the roar of a lion. After that, the conchshells, drums, bugles, trumpets and horns were all sounded, and the combined sound was tumultuous.

On the other side, both Lord Krsna and Arjuna were seated on the great chariot drawn by white horses.

Lord Krsna blew His conchshell, Pancajanya.
Arjuna blew his, the Devadatta
Bhima blew his terrific conchshell Paundra
King Yudhisthira, the son of Kunti, blew his conchshell, the Ananta-vijaya
Nakula blew the Sughosha
Sahadeva blew the Manipuspaka.
The others including Abhimanyu all blew their respective conchshells.

The blowing of these different conchshells became uproarious. Vibrating both in the sky and on the earth.

Arjuna in the middle

1.20-1.26

Seeing your sons standing, and the war about to begin with the hurling of weapons; Arjuna, whose banner bore the emblem of Lord Hanumana, took up his bow and spoke these words to Lord Krishna:

O infallible one, please draw my chariot between the two armies so that I may see those present here, who desire to fight, wishing to please the evil-minded son o Dhrtarastra and with whom I must contend in this great trial of arms.

Having thus been addressed by Arjuna, Lord Krsna drew up the fine chariot in the midst of the armies of both parties in the presence of Bhisma, Drona and all the other chieftains of the world and asked Arjuna to have a look at all those Kurus assembled there.

Arjuna notices the leaders of the opposition

There Arjuna saw, in the midst of the armies of both parties, his grandfathers, teachers, maternal uncles, brothers, sons, grandsons, friends and well-wishers.

Arjuna is overtaken by emotions

Verse 1.27-39

When Arjuna, saw all elders, relatives and friends, he became overwhelmed with compassion and spoke thus:

My dear Krsna, seeing my friends and relatives present before me in such a fighting spirit,

I feel the limbs of my body quivering
My mouth drying up.
My whole body is trembling
My hair is standing on end
My bow Gandiva is slipping from my hand
My skin is burning
I am now unable to stand here any longer.
I am forgetting myself
My mind is reeling.

I see only causes of misfortune.
I do not see how any good can come from killing my own kinsmen in this battle
In this way, I cannot desire, victory, kingdom, or happiness

What is the use of a kingdom, happiness or even life itself when all the elders, friends and relatives are dead? For whom we desire the kingdom, enjoyments and pleasures? I foresee no good by slaying my own people in the fight.

When teachers, fathers, sons, grandfathers, maternal uncles, fathers-in-law, grandsons, brothers-in-law and other relatives are ready to give up their lives and properties and are standing before me, why should I wish to kill them, even though they might otherwise kill me?

I am not prepared to fight with them even in exchange for the three worlds, let alone this earth.

What pleasure will we derive from killing these people? Sin will overcome us if we slay such people.

It is not proper for us to kill these people. How could we be happy by killing our own kinsmen?

1.40-46

When the dynasty is killed, the entire tradition vanishes. Their ancestors suffer (fall) as the offerings of rice and water is stopped. All it means is we become irreligious.

May be these people, overtaken by greed, see no fault in killing one's family or quarreling with friends. But why should we do that? I can see the crime in destroying the family and in engaging in a sinful act. If the sons of Dhritarashtra kill me in battle, while I am unarmed and not fighthing, it would be far better.

It is the custom--according to ksatriya fighting principles--that an unarmed and unwilling foe should not be attacked. Arjuna, however, decided that even if attacked by the enemy in such an awkward position, he would not fight. He was not worried about the other party being bent upon fighting. This extreme position taken by Arjuna was due to his soft heart for the elders, relatives and friends and also due to his Principles based on Dharma.

1.47

After speaking this, Arjuna put aside his bow and arrows and sat down in the back of the chariot with his mind full of sorrow and commisseration. He became reluctant to fight.

7 comments:

krishna said...

Very nice work. You can also include the sanskrit verses in english alphabets so that the blog is even more attractive.

http://krishnavabodham.blogspot.in/

Meenalochani Kumar (Meena) said...

You have described the chapter in such simplicity that it makes me want to read all of the Gita in one go:) Thanks for making it so beautiful yet articulate!

Unknown said...

Very nice

Unknown said...

Well simplified sir

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for making this easy for everyone

Shivam said...

Hey there,
Nice blog
Guys you can visit here to know more
maa mansa devi mp3 songs download

Unknown said...

Really appreciated....nice work done.